- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lemongrass stem, white part only, chopped
- 1 long red chilli, seeded and chopped
- vegetable oil for frying
- 500g beef (fillet)
- 4 red Asian shallots, thinly sliced (or use 1 red onion)
- 1 large handful Thai basil leaves
- 1 handful mint leaves
- 1 handlful coriander leaves
- 4 tbsp roasted peanuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp fried shallots (available in Asian grocery stores in a jar)
Prepare the marinade by combining lime juice, fish sauce and sugar. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the garlic, lemongrass and chilli.
Heat a little oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook the beef fillet for 9-10mins, evenly browning all sides. Remove form the pan and ret for 5 mins then slice thinly and toss through marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours (or overnight).
To serve, remove the beef from the marinade and combine with the fresh shallots, herbs and peanuts. Gently toss and place on a platter. Scatter the fried shallots on top.
This recipe is courtesy of Koto